The dining car
The 1940s and 1950s
were the golden age of train travel and also the pinnacle of
railroad dining car operations. For many passengers, the ambiance of
the dining car was the reason they rode the train. The following
recipe is one from that golden age.
Golden Dollar French Toast, served on Missouri Pacific's Texas
Note: Do not
use pre-sliced bread. Cut slices ¾-inch thick from a whole loaf of
4 slices white bread
½ cup cream (half and half can be substituted)
4 drops vanilla
3-4 thin orange slices
1. Stir eggs, cream, and vanilla together in a bowl. Mix well.
2. Dip bread slices in the mixture.
3. Add shortening to the frying pan. When hot, fry bread slices
until evenly toasted to a light brown.
4. Sprinkle toast with powdered sugar.
5. Garnish with orange slices.
6. Arrange strawberries at rim of plate. (A tasty variation is to
use frozen strawberries that are thawed then spooned onto the