I have started working on the October newsletter a little early this month with our bus/train trip down to Elkins, WV, September 30, and October 1. The end of the month I will be very busy with other duties and keeping us all on schedule for the weekend. I will have a report on the trip and photos in the November newsletter.
A big "Thank you" to Clark Kemmerer and Alice Angelo for hosting our September meeting. Thanks also to Alycefaye Stewart and Tina Weimer for stepping up and running the meeting for me. I had a great time at the fiftieth anniversary celebration. It is good to get together for a happy time, and a golden anniversary is an inspiration.
October we have the Castle Shannon Train Show Sunday, October 30, 9AM to 3Pm. We are planning to set up on Saturday, October 29. Donald Goodwin will have the trailer at the fire department for us to start at noon. Like I always say weíre looking for volunteers for the set up Saturday at noon, and Sunday for running the trains, selling raffle tickets, and the taking down and packing the trailer after the show. If you can help please let me know so that I can start a list of volunteers. I know I always say this, but doing any show takes a lot of work and we need all the help we can get.
I would like to say thank you to Barrie Baker. He was the lucky winner of the Pennsylvania starter set we raffled off at Monongahela River, Rail & Transportation Museum in August. Barrie has donated the train back to the club to use for our raffle at Castle Shannon show. Thank you again, Barrie.
The club did not get approved to do the November Greenberg train show. The Greenberg people wrote back to say they didnít have room for us this time. We get a different reason for not being able to do the show each time. Iím thinking they just donít want to pay us or donít have the money any more.
The officers are working on coming up with a plan for the November meeting. Please check the November newsletter for all the details. Iíll try to have the information also when I send out the reminder for the Castle Shannon show. We are looking at going out to Brownsville and setting up a display for the museum like we did last year for Christmas; just have to work out all the details.
I have started working on another bus trip for December 10. It is a one day trip to Meadville to see ďWhite Christmas," the play at the Academy Theatre of Music. The Academy Theatre has been beautifully restored to its original grander and has become Meadvilleís home for all varieties of artistic and cultural events. If you are looking for something to get you in the mood for Christmas, how about this one day trip that includes a tour of Wendell August Forge, buffet lunch at Chovyís restaurant, and the play ďWhite ChristmasĒ at the Academy Theatre. Please look under trips for additional information. If you have any questions call me at (412) 276-1236 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and Iíll try to answer them.
Alycefaye, Tina and I when to Pittsburgh, Sunday, September 25, and met with Chris of the TCA (Train Collectors Association) Fort Pitt Division about the convention scheduled for next year, June25 to July 2. Iím happy to report that we got some of our questions answered.
1. With regard to the self driving tours:
a. Are PGRS member layouts included in these tours? the only available evening is Fri.
b. Is each PGRS location to be open all three nights that tours are listed? No
2. What size footprint are we allowed? We will receive the architectural drawing and it will have the pillar measurements and foot prints. Chris said he would send Keith the drawing.
3. Is the onsite PGRS layout part of the "public displays?" It will be. The displays will be manned at the times opened. All other times there will be security guards to watch displays.
4. When can the onsite PGRS layout be taken down? Right after the one hour show 9-10 on Saturday.
5. How do we get our equipment from the PGRS trailer up to the place the layout is to be assembled? There are freight elevators for our containers.
6. What type of badge are PGRS members to wear when manning the PGRS layout? There will be visitor badges. Parking pass? They are working on the most economical ways to park.
7. Can we have PGRS literature available at the PGRS layout? Yes, we can hand out brochures and information on the club.
8. Can the PGRS have a raffle? Chris will have to check into it. There might be the possibility that they will give an honorarium
With us just sitting in on part of the meeting we see that the TCA- Fort Pitt Division has a lot of other problem to work out, As we get any information on the convention weíll pass it on to you. Keep checking the web as Chris said that they are going to start up dating it on a regular basis the closer they get to the convention.
Please save December 3, for our Christmas party this year at Jadenís, the same place we had the party last year. The Willow was sold and closed for remodeling, and the work would not be done in time for the party, so they canceled on us. Jadenís was the only place we could find and not change the date for the party.